An enemy blocks when their Defense is greater than the damage of your Attack
This is a feature of enemies meant to increase the need for more skilled play at more advanced stages of play.
How Defense Works
After each turn you take in battle, your heroes fire off one attack for every match of 3 gems or more you make on the gem board:
- The base value of an individual attack is determined by the attack stat of your hero and the number of gems in the match.
- This base value is then modified based on any leader skills equipped, the combo multiplier based on the total number of matches and power gems used and any affinity strength or weakness based on the affinity of the attacker and defender’s affinities.
- If you are playing in raid boss, attacks may also be modified by using a boosted attack or by Slayer skills.
When an attack hits an enemy, they take damage equal to your final attack value minus their Defense value. If Defense is greater than attack, the attack is blocked and your attack does a single damage. This is what is happening when you see “Blocked” fly off from an enemy as a result of an attack. The enemy’s Defense stat is greater than the value of the attack.
Defense and Skill
Our design intention with Defense is to require more skilled play as you progress to later stages of game difficulty. Higher Defense stats require you to do more damage with each individual attack, meaning you have to focus not only on your hero cards’ stats, but also the number of gems you match per attack, your combos, affinity match ups and leader skills.In addition to powering up your cards, you can boost the damage of individual attacks in the following ways:
- Using more gems in an individual attack
- Making more combos in a turn
- Equipping Leader cards that buff the attack stats of other heroes in your deck
- Using battle skills that reduce or pierce enemy Defense
- Setting up teams to maximize affinity strengths and minimize affinity weaknesses
The more skilled you are at the fundamentals of the gem matching game, the more difficult enemies you will be able to defeat.
As with many of the updates we have rolled out in the Guild Wars release, this Defense system is one we are actively tuning. We are monitoring your feedback as well as data, and will be modifying the Defense stats event-to-event (and war-to-war) until we feel that Defense settings are presenting the right level of challenge to our players.